With 3 days left in 2017, it’s hard not to reflect on all that 2017 brought, took and taught. Despite the challenges around the world and personally, 2017 was simply filled with God’s favour, grace and mercy. He was there every step of the way and it is my hope that we see 2018 and it will be better than our former years. Amen! In reflecting on 2017, I have listed out my top 10 personal highlights of the year 2017.
- I turned 28. Though seemingly irrelevant, turning 28 is significant to me because aside God’s blessings of health and life, I always knew that age 28 would be a turning point for me, in a positive way of course. Thankfully, it truly has. Though I have by no means achieved all of the goals I set for my 28 year old self – with the most important been the completion of my best-selling novel (amen), I am right where I need to be and I have done so well thus far!
- One of my closest girlfriends got married to the love of her life and I was part of it! Unfortunately for me, though I warned her about my non-existent dance moves when looked at by others, there is video evidence of this ignored warning been lived out (deep sigh. lol).
- My little sister graduated from the university with distinction! All the nights up studying paid off.
- Canada had a fantastic summer and I took advantage of this by taking walks daily, savouring the beauty all around me and attending the Calgary stampede!
- I travelled to Nigeria, Ottawa and England…ALONE. Prior to these trips, I always had one of my sisters or a girlfriend accompany me to a new state, city or country but for the first time in my life, I travelled solo and throughly enjoyed it. It is so easy to get sucked into the behaviour of a tourist by admiring nature, buildings, food, art work and other material novelties of a foreign place but when last did you admire the beauty of the people living their daily lives?
- I began making pastries for others outside my family and friends. It really has been a test especially with my 9-5 job but the great thing about passion is you never feel tired doing what you love…and one of the things I love is feeding people with yumminess.
- I was blessed with the one who was made for me and I am ever thankful to God for HIs blessings in this regard.
- I chopped off my hair in August and though it was a tough and scary decision to make, I knew that what I needed in terms of hair change was right behind my fear. I am crazy in love with my Afro. I never knew I could love short hair as much as I love mine now.
- I began a new role in the corporate world. It has been everything I wanted and more: challenging, scary but definitely worth it.
- Babies everywhere! Most of my girlfriends either had babies in this year or got pregnant. There is no greater joy than that of motherhood and I can’t wait to babble with more babies!
What are your highlights of 2017?